Wednesday 7 December 2011

Midweek Music Update

I was going to post this earlier but my internet got cut off so I couldn’t do anything online. Honestly it was probably the hardest eight or so hours of my life #firstworldproblems. It wasn’t a complete write off though because, as you can see, without any distractions I was able to work on my ace new site background. Now I just need to make the title bar at the top look as awesome.

If I’m on my computer at midnight then I usually post a midnight music update either on twitter or facebook with a link to what I’m listening to. The midweek music update is kind of the same thing; what I’ve been listening to this week and why it rocks my world or not. If I think I can get away with it (basically when the band or the record company themselves have uploaded it) I’ll also post a youtube link or some such so you can also listen to the song.

Stephen Malkmus and The Jicks

I don’t know what the deal was but it seemed that for most of this week Radio 6 decided to play the new Stephen Malkmus single every single day at the exact same time as my radio alarm went off, and because it’s impossible to get out of bed before the first song finishes I have had this stuck in my head all week.

Luckily I actually enjoy this song. One weird thing about it though, and again this might just be because of how I heard it, is that I actually kind of prefer the radio edit where “blow job” is replaced by “snow job”. Especially when you’re watching the music video it just seems to work better.



Beth Jeans Houghton

This has been a repeating thing over the last couple of months, I just really like her stuff and am actually looking forward quite a bit to her first proper album which is out next year. My bold prediction is that by this time next year she will have firmly taken her place as the new new (new?) Kate Bush, and hopefully she will have unseated the current holder of the title of most talked about triple barrel named songstress who I will only ever call Ol’ Duck Lips.

Only point going against her obviously is that she is younger than me and talented people who are younger than me always make me feel I am wasting my life. Here is her single anyway.



De La Soul

Midweek music update is not just about new music, but also old music. This is because I am incredibly lame and know nothing about new music BUT MORE IMPORTANTLY because old music is great and you kids just don’t understand. Get of my lawn.

I am actually listening to 3 Feet High and Rising as I am writing this and it just sounds so good I couldn’t not mention it. My brother made me a copy of the album when I was a teenager using some really lame CD ripping software which seemed to cut off the very end of each track, but it still sounded amazing and probably made me realise that I actually enjoyed hip hop. My favourite track on the album is probably “Jenifa Taught Me” which is also the best song about losing virginity ever so listen to that why don’t you.

Duke Ellington

Oh you thought I wouldn’t get more old school than De La Soul? Don’t be ridiculous. I make no apologies for my love big band music and Duke Ellington was the master. I posted this as one of my midnight music updates earlier in the week but I think it deserves you listening to it again, because it’s one of the greatest and most evocative pieces of music ever recorded in my opinion.



Shonen Knife

Okay lets jump back to the (sort of) present then. I’ve been listening to a lot of Japanese music this week for some reason and one of my all time favourite Japanese bands ever are Shonen Knife. I mean just listen to this track. I think it’s literally impossible not to dance around to it. Or at the very least bop your head around a bit.



So that was my week in music, I hope you enjoyed it. Please send your thoughts and opinions about this post and also my new background in a stamped self addressed envelope.

No comments:

Post a Comment